The abstract submission process for ICCM23 will be through an online submission portal.
Presenting Authors are requested to create an account and submit an abstract for review according to the guidelines set out below. The same account will be used when you register for the Conference. Please keep the email and password used to create the account for future use. Please do not create a new account. Should you require any assistance or have a query about online submission, contact [email protected].
- It is ESSENTIAL that you read the instructions below before you submit.
- The Presenting Author must submit the abstract and is required to be the corresponding author for that abstract
- Abstracts must be submitted in English
- All accepted presenters must submit a Full Paper or PowerPoint to be published on the International Committee on Composite Materials website
- You do not need to register for the Conference prior to submitting an abstract however following acceptance into the programme you must register by Friday 19th March 2021.
An abstract can be submitted for presentation at the Conference as one of the following categories:
Oral presentations will be 15 minutes long with 5 minutes for questions and answers
Combined Mini-Oral & Poster Presentation
Mini-Oral presentations will be 5 minutes long. Presenters must also produce a poster. See guidelines below.
Those accepted to deliver a poster presentation will be asked to produce a poster for display at the Conference. Presenters are asked to take note of the guidelines below when producing their poster.
- Poster size is A0 (0.84 x 1.19 m) in portrait orientation
- Keep text to a minimum
- Ensure any text is a minimum of size 16 font
- Use graphs, charts, and/or tables
- Ensure content has a logical flow
- Make effective use of colour and graphics
- Poster finish can be matt or gloss
- Velcro will be available for you to attach your poster to the board
- Removal & collection of posters at the end of the display period remains the responsibility of the presenter
- Posters not removed by the indicated take–down time will be removed and disposed of
At the review stage, the Programme Committee may change the presentation type submitted by the author to ensure the continuity of the Conference Programme i.e. oral presentation may be changed to a combined mini-oral and poster presentation. The Presenting Author will be informed of any change to their submitted presentation type at the acceptance notification stage. The decision of the Programme Committee is final.
Abstracts must be submitted under one of the Conference Themes.
1. Composites Design
01.01 Computational methods
01.02 Multi-physics modelling
01.03 Design and integration
01.04 Materials by design
01.05 Morphing composites
01.06 Multiscale modelling
01.07 Process modelling
01.08 Structural analysis and optimization
01.09 Structural design criteria, safety and reliability
2. Composite Materials & Structures
02.01 Bio-inspired and biocomposites
02.02 Ceramic & metal matrix composites
02.03 Polymer matrix composites
02.04 Fibre reinforced composites
02.05 Ductile and pseudo-ductile composites
02.06 Sustainable composites
02.08 Hybrid & metacomposites
02.09 Sandwich structures and materials
02.10 Smart composite materials and structures
02.11 Textile-based & 3D composites
02.12 Self-healing composites
02.13 Multifunctional composites
3. Composites Manufacturing & Processing
03.01 Additive manufacturing
03.02 Advanced manufacturing and automation
03.03 Automated fibre & tape placement
03.04 Design and manufacture for multifunctionality
03.05 Formation of active composites
03.06 Liquid composites moulding
03.07 Machining of composites
03.08 Composite repair
4. Composites Characterisation
04.01 Properties of composites
04.02 Durability, creep and aggressive environments
04.03 Damage tolerance
04.05 Fatigue, fracture and damage
04.06 Stain measurement techniques
04.07 Macro-, micro-, and nano-scale test methods
04.08 Interfaces and interphases
04.09 Non-destructive evaluation
04.10 Tribology and wear
04.11 Experimental methods for process characterization
5. Composites Behaviour & Life Cycle Performance
05.01 Acoustic metacomposites
05.02 Actuation and dynamic response
05.03 Embedded sensing and self-diagnosis
05.04 Mechanics of composites
05.05 Composites regulations
05.06 Energy harvesting and storage
05.07 Recycling and sustainability
05.08 Morphing structures for performance enhancement
05.09 Structural health monitoring
05.10 Composite and Hybrid Joints
6. Composites Applications
06.04 Civil engineering
06.06 Offshore and subsea
06.08 Renewable Energy
06.09 Sporting goods
06.10 Emerging Technologies & Applications
Please adhere to the following formatting guidelines when preparing abstracts for submission for ICCM23. Abstracts which are not correctly formatted will not be reviewed.
How to submit an abstract
The Presenting Author will be the contact person for the abstract and must submit the abstract. Once you enter the Submission Portal, start by creating an account. Please keep a record of the account details you use to set up the account as you will require them to log into the ICCM23 Submission Portal to submit your Full Paper and enter the Conference Registration Portal. Upon successful submission of the abstract a confirmation email will be sent to the Presenting Author.
If you have not received a confirmation email, please check that your abstract is not left in draft and is fully submitted by logging back into the portal and checking on the Edit/View Abstracts page.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you can save your submission as a draft and return to edit the submission, but once it has been submitted the abstract cannot be edited after the close of submission deadline. If you require any assistance regarding the submission of your abstract, contact [email protected].
The online abstract submission system is a simple step by step process and will ask you to input the following details:
- Title of the abstract (word limit is 15)
- Presentation type (Oral, Mini-Oral & Poster, Poster)
- Theme must be chosen from the theme list above
- Name, affiliation, and job title of Presenting Author (this person will act as the main contact for this abstract; this person must be listed as the first author)
- Name, affiliation, and job title of co-author(s)
- Abstract should be 2 A4 pages, including images, graphs etc.
- Complete questions listed in Additional Information.
- Provide a 20 word max. description of the abstract which will be listed in the Conference Programme and available on the App.
- Download the abstract template from the link below to create the abstract as a Word document and then save as a PDF file for uploading to the system. Only PDF files will be accepted for upload.
Abstract Submission Template
Abstracts must be formatted using the ICCM23 template. Abstracts must be submitted in English only. Click on the button to download the template.
Review and Notification of Acceptance
All abstracts will go through a peer-review carried out by reviewers selected by the ICCM23 Programme Committee.
Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent to the submitter on Friday 18th December 2020.
Registration of the Abstract Presenter
When notified of acceptance, the Presenting Author is required to accept the offer by registering for the Conference and paying in full by Friday 19th March 2021.
If you have an accepted abstract you may avail of the early bird registration rate up. You will be provided with a link to register at this rate in your acceptance email. After this date any registrations made by you will be at the prevailing congress registration fee at time of registration/payment.
If a presenter fails to register by Friday 19th March 2021 they will be:
- removed from the programme
- removed from all ICCM23 related publications
Co-authors and delegates are eligible for the early bird registration rate up until Thursday 1st April 2021.
Withdrawal Conditions & Change of Presenter
Written notice must be submitted by Friday 19th March 2021 for all withdrawals and change of presenters, contact [email protected].
Submission of Full Papers/PowerPoint
All accepted abstract presenters must submit a Full Paper or PowerPoint by Wednesday 5th May 2021. These will be available on the ICCM23 website and through the Conference App during the Conference. They will also be eventually made available on the International Committee on Composite Materials website following an 18 month embargo. The Full Paper/PowerPoint will be allocated a DOI number for future reference. Further details on the Full Paper/PowerPoint requirements will be provided in the abstract acceptance email.
Tsai Award for Best Student Paper
This award is named in honour of Professor Stephen Tsai and is given for the best student paper presented at each ICCM Conference. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible. The winner is selected from a group of finalists representing each of the ICCM World Regions. Finalists present their papers in a special session before a panel of judges. Apply via the abstract submission portal by submitting an abstract for presentation and a letter of recommendation from the applicant’s lead supervisor and a personal statement from the applicant as to why he/she should be considered for a Tsai award. Further details are available here.
To acknowledge the importance of posters to the dissemination of research outcomes, the ICCM 23 Local Organising Committee, will be hosting a Poster Prize. Selected members of the ICCM Executive committee will judge the posters and a decision to select an overall winner will be reached by consensus. The winner will receive a free ticket for the ICCM 23 banquet where they will be presented with the award and a USD 250 money prize. Further details are available here.
Terms and Conditions:
- The abstract submitted adheres to the submission guidelines outlined above.
- The abstract has only been submitted once for ICCM23
- The contact information provided is correct at submission
- All abstract authors have given the Corresponding Author permission to provide their contact details to ICCM23 for the purpose of the conference.
- Copyright permission is given to allow publication of the Abstract, Poster and/o r additional documents as requested together with the author names and affiliations, on the Conference Website and App, and on the International Committee on Composite Materials website, unless otherwise requested in Additional Information.
- Presenters may be recorded for live streaming and a recording of the presentation and a copy of the slides may be published online after the conference.
- It is the sole responsibility of the Corresponding Author to communicate with co-authors.
- If accepted the Presenting Author must register by Friday 19th March 2021 to confirm that they will present at the conference. If they do not want to accept the offer they must immediately inform ICCM23 of their wish to withdraw or change presenter. Any change of Presenting Author must be confirmed and registered by Friday 19th March 2021.
- The presenting author is available to present at the conference between 1st – 6th August 2021
- The submission of an abstract constitutes a formal commitment by the Presenting Author to present the abstracted work (if accepted) in the form, session and time assigned by the Programme Committee.
If you have any queries regarding the above, please contact the ICCM23 Programme Team [email protected]