Registration for ICCM 23 is Now Open!



Visiting Northern Ireland after Brexit


Now that the United Kingdom has left the European Union, you may be wondering how Brexit may affect your travel plans to Northern Ireland.


There may be extra steps you will need to take to ensure your visit is enjoyable, smooth and hassle-free including arranging adequate travel insurance, driving documentation, pet travel and using your mobile phone while overseas.

Please ensure you check the official UK Government Website  for updates prior to travelling.  We also recommend that you continue to check how your plans to visit Northern Ireland will be affected by the latest Coronavirus advice.

Business Travel to the UK

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen travelling to the UK for a short business trip, you may not need to apply for a visa.

Under the UK’s new points-based immigration system, you can continue to visit the UK without applying for a visa. In most cases you can stay for up to 6 months. You may participate in a wide range of activities including business-related activities such as meetings, events and conferences. You may enter the UK multiple times during that period but you may not live in the UK by means of frequent or successive visits.

As a business visitor, you cannot:

  • do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person
  • do a work placement or internship
  • sell directly to the public or provide goods and services

Read more about visiting the UK on a business trip and check whether you need to apply for a visa to carry out your intended activities.


Check the Visitor Rules and see the full list of business and academic activities you can do as a visitor to the UK.


You need to be aware of new personal allowance rules when travelling between Great Britain and the EU.  For information on allowances and to make any necessary declarations, visit .   If you’re taking goods to another country temporarily for business reasons and you think you’ll be over the duty free limit of £390, you can usually get an ATA Carnet to avoid paying duty.

This includes things like:

  • Samples to show at trade fairs or sales meetings
  • Publicity materials
  • Recorded film and audio
  • Equipment you need for work like laptops, cameras or sound equipment
  • Goods for educational, scientific or cultural purposes
  • Personal effects and sports goods

You will need to make a customs declaration if you are taking commercial goods out of the UK in your accompanied baggage or vehicle. Check the rules around Merchandise in Baggage for more information.

Visas and ID Cards

If you’re an EU, EEA and Swiss citizen, you can travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without needing a visa. You can cross the UK border using a valid passport which should be valid for the whole time you are in the UK. Be sure to click here for answers to any questions.

If you require guidance to help understand what travel documents you need to travel to Northern Ireland click here . It lists the countries and territories of citizens who need a visa for the UK.

Please do not hesitate to contact the team about this or any other queries at [email protected]


Information correct as of: 22/03/2021

The information provided here is based on Visit Belfast’s own assessment of the official Government sources available at a point in time. All information is therefore subject to change at short notice. Users should refer to the links provided in order to carry out their own assessment of the information and satisfy themselves that it meets their individual requirements.












Supporting Partners

Website and Conference Management by Conference Partners International